Strength. Wisdom. Clarity. For all families.
Emily E. Cunniff
Emily’s extraordinary ability to analyze evidence and nuanced legal issues allows her to serve as a practical and logical guide for clients in helping them make sense of, and overcome, complex legal issues. This inherent trait, honed by a depth of hands-on experience, sets her apart as a family law attorney.
Emily works with clients of every financial background to find efficient solutions to complicated issues. Although she has significant courtroom experience litigating cases involving high-conflict child
custody, relocation, child and spousal support, and divorce, she has found that most families benefit from creative, settlement-based solutions.
She is a certified mediator and trained in interest-based negotiation. Emily prides herself on becoming highly knowledgeable about her clients’ particular circumstances and finding legal solutions that are in their best interest.
As a child of divorce herself, Emily believes strongly in shielding children from as much conflict as possible. Emily is court-appointed child counsel in Montgomery County and serves as a Best Interest Attorney (BIA), Child Privilege Attorney, and Child Advocate, to represent children's interests during their parents' custody disputes.
Before entering the legal profession, Emily earned her Masters in Social Work and spent time supporting individuals with substance use and co-morbid mental health disorders. She puts her social work background into her practice of family law, incorporating mental health professionals in her work with families, particularly in issues related to child development and custody.
Emily earned her MSW from the University of Central Florida. She clerked for the DC Court of Appeals after graduating magna cum laude from American University Washington College of Law in 2015, where she was a Publications Editor for The American University Journal of Gender, Social Policy & the Law. She is a member of the Maryland and District of Columbia Bars.
- American University Washington College of Law, JD - 2015
- University of Central Florida, MSW - 2012
- University of Central Florida, BS - 2009
- District of Columbia
- D.C. Bar Association - Family & Women Sections
- Maryland Bar Association - Family & Juvenile Section
- Bar Association of Montgomery County
- D.C. Bar Pro Bono Center - Attorney Mentor
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC)
- Certified Mediator
- Montgomery County, Child Counsel
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Facilitator, D.C. Family Court
- Maryland Administrative Office of the Courts - Presenter for Custody Evaluator Training