Strength. Wisdom. Clarity. For all families.
Joseph C. Figini
Joe serves as a strategic and empathetic ally to his family law clients, leveraging a problem-solving approach honed over 30 years practicing law, many of which were in a commercial setting. His insight, intuition, and interest in finding solutions that satisfy all sides is an asset to the firm and the clients he serves.
After roles as a General Counsel for a multinational corporation and as outside counsel with an AM Law top 100 global law firm, Joe made the conscious decision to move into family law so that he can represent his
favorite type of client: people. He has a genuine interest in helping others, and is able to put that passion to work with McKinney Figini, paving the path forward for clients who are defining, or redefining, their family relationships.
Joe is trained and experienced in mediation and the collaborative model and seeks settlement over litigation whenever possible. When negotiation cannot resolve a case, he is a skilled and successful litigator.
As a member of the LGBTQ+ community, Joe has extensive professional and personal experience with LGBTQ+ matters and is in tune with the unique challenges and complications that impact their resolution.
Joe is a 1990 graduate of the University of Michigan Law School and is a member of the Maryland and District of Columbia Bars. He is actively engaged in the community, including serving on the Board of Directors for Goodwill Industries International.
- University of Michigan Law School - 1990
- District of Columbia
- Member, Virginia Bar (Corporate Counsel Certificate) 2003-2014
- Member, ACC, and Washington Metropolitan Area Corporate Counsel Association 2002-2015
- Member, American Bar Association, Section of Public Contract Law 1990-2015
- 2011 Outstanding In-House Counsel Award (presented by WMACCA) September 2011
- Frederick B. Abramson Award from the D.C. Bar for outstanding pro bono service June 1998
- Member, Board of Directors, Goodwill Industries International, 2023 - present
- Member of Leadership Council, Machen Florida Opportunity Scholars, University of Florida 2020 – present
- San Miguel School Board of Trustees 2019 - 2021
- Founding Member, LGBTQIA+ Ministry, Holy Trinity Parish 2018 - 2021
- Religious Education Catechist, Holy Trinity Parish 2015 - 2021
- Board of Directors, Capital Partners for Education (Chair of the Board) 2010-2015
- Board of Directors, Children’s Law Center (Chair, Development Committee) 2009-2015
- Local School Advisory Team, Oyster-Adams Bilingual School (Co-Chair) 2014 - 2016
- Board of Trustees of the Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia 1996-2003
- Volunteer English language instructor to adult immigrants, Language ETC, Washington D.C. 2004-2007