Strength. Wisdom. Clarity. For all families.
Margaret J. McKinney
Meg is counted among the elite tier of family law attorneys in Maryland and Washington, D.C., having spent more than 30 years representing clients in the most complex financial and custody matters. Meg’s reputation among her peers in the bar as a “go to” mediator for the most complicated divorce matters reflects her unique ability to analyze facts and figures quickly, identify areas of common interest, and construct settlements and resolutions that serve the long-term needs and interests of her clients and their children.
Equally effective in and out of the courtroom, Meg is uniquely approachable, empathetic and reliable. She is a long-term trusted advisor for her clients. Her ability to connect with people and meet them where they are opens the door to creative settlements even in the most intractable conflicts. At the same time, Meg is known in the legal community as a determined, organized and well-prepared trial attorney who has won many hard-fought results for her clients with her supreme mastery of the facts and circumstances of their case. She collaborates with financial experts and therapists to help drive a holistic solution to family law problems.
Meg’s strongest attribute is her wisdom borne out of the pattern recognition she has developed by handling thousands of family law matters – she understands what matters and what does not, and seeks to find a resolution for a family law matter that does not waste time or legal fees. Meg truly puts the interests of her clients first and has an uncanny ability to zero in on the key drivers for negotiated settlement in a way that does not destroy relationships, but rather preserves them even in the most high-conflict cases.
When it comes to financial issues, Meg’s capacity for analysis is unmatched, having represented clients in some of the most complex, high net worth cases in both Maryland and the District of Columbia. Meg also believes she needs to serve our community. She actively represents clients in pro bono legal matters of significance, mentors pro bono attorneys, and actively participates in a variety of legal and community organizations.
Meg is a 1992 graduate of The George Washington University School of Law, with honors, and is a member of the Maryland and District of Columbia Bars. She works as an expert witness for attorney colleagues, has been named one of Washington DC’s top family lawyers in the Washingtonian and Bethesda magazines for more than a decade, among others and is actively engaged in the community, holding board and mentor positions throughout her career.
- George Washington University School of Law - J.D., with honors, 1992
- George Washington University - B.A., magna cum laude, 1989
- District of Columbia
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Facilitator, D.C. Family Court
- DR & PS Subcommittee, D.C. Family Court, 2001-present
- Metro Bethesda Rotary Club, 2023-present
- William Bryant Inn of Court, Washington, D.C., 1997-present
- Mentor, D.C. Bar Pro Bono Program, 1997-present.
- D.C. Bar, Family Law Community
- Maryland State Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Montgomery County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- American Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Chair, Domestic Relations Committee, D.C. Bar Pro Bono Task Force, July 2018 to July 2021.
- Member, Advisory Board, Better Life Lab, New America Foundation, 2014-2020.
- Co-Chair, D.C. Bar Family Law Task Force, July 2009-July 2013.
- Member, Board of Directors, Children’s Law Center, September 2008-2014.
- Member, D.C. Bar Pro Bono Committee, September 2008 to 2014.
- Member, Maryland Child Support Advisory Committee, September 2007 to 2009.
- Member, Family Law Working Group, D.C. Bar, September 2002 – 2014.
- Member, Advisory Board, Parent Coordinator Program, a joint project of D.C. Family Court and Argosy University.
- District of Columbia Child Support Guideline Commission, Member, January 2003 to January 2005.
- Co-Chair, Family Law Section, D.C. Bar, July 2000 – June 2003.
- Member, Family Court Implementation Committee, D.C. Superior Court, November 2001 – 2005, 2016 - 2020.
- President, D.C. Bar, Council on Sections, July 2004 – June 2005.
- Vice-President, D.C. Bar, Council on Sections, July 2003 – June 2004.
- Member, Steering Committee, Family Law Section, D.C. Bar, July 1999 – June 2005.
- Member, D.C. Bar Council on Sections, July 2000 – June 2003.
- D.C. Bar Advice & Referral Clinic Family Law Mentor, 1997 - 2020.